If you remember awhile back the folks over at WhatsApp announced that they would be discontinuing support for BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 at the end of 2016. This made a lot of folks upset. Well they announced some better news for folks recently that might make things a little better. WhatsApp has extended the shutdown date until June 30th of 2017.
WhatsApp support for mobile devices
As announced in our blog, we will soon be ending support for certain devices. On June 30, 2017, we will no longer support the following platforms:
- BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10
- Nokia S40
- Nokia Symbian S60
The following platforms will no longer be supported at the beginning of 2017:
- Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
- Windows Phone 7
- iPhone 3GS/iOS 6
These platforms don’t offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app’s features in the future. If you use one of these affected mobile devices, we recommend upgrading to a newer Android running OS 2.3+, a Windows Phone 8+, or an iPhone running iOS 7+ before the end of 2016 to continue using WhatsApp.
If you haven’t convienced your friends to switch to BBM, you have a little more time! Of course we all know BBM is a much better messaging platform than WhatsApp.
Latest posts by Brad (see all)
- BlackBerry KEYone Canadian Carrier Partners and Pricing Announced! - April 27, 2017
- BlackBerry KEYone now available in the UK in retail first at Selfridges - April 27, 2017
- The BlackBerry KEYone Will Go on Sale in the US Starting May 31st! - April 27, 2017